Hull School of Art & Design has been the creative heart of Hull for over 156 years.
In January 1861, a committee was formed to lobby for the creation of a school of art in Hull. Hull born sculptor W.D. Keyworth (1843-1902), was instrumental in this group. He sculpted the Minerva, Arts & Sciences statues (now on display in the gardens of the Streetlife Museum in Hull) and also the statue of William Wilberforce that stands outside his historic house, now a dedicated museum on High Street.
The school was opened in Jarratt Street later that year, with classes being delivered in a suite of upstairs chambers at the Public Assembly Rooms, now Hull New Theatre; the first exhibition being held in the spring of the following year.
In 1878, the school had moved to a Georgian town house on Albion Street (No.2, just two doors down from the Royal Institute, with a Mr Menzies being the Head of School).
By 1901 an Anlaby Road site was acquired from the North Eastern Railway Company and an architectural competition was advertised. The winning design for a new school was produced by the Bloomsbury firm of Lanchester, Stewart and Rickards; the building being completed in April 1905.
In 1921 the Hull Atelier of Architecture (inc. local architects F.J. Horth and H. Andrew) was created, and though formed initially with the idea of breaking away from the School of Art to forge a new school, eventually became central to the school’s delivery and on-going history.
In 1930 the school at Anlaby Road became Hull College of Arts and Crafts. With the now thriving School of Architecture based in two large rooms on the first floor of the school under the direction of Dr Leslie Martin (later Professor Sir Leslie Martin), famous for designing the Royal Festival Hall on the banks of The Thames in London. He edited Circle: International Survey of Constructivist Art with contributions from Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Le Corbusier, Malevich. Moholy-Nagy amongst others.
In 1962 the college was renamed the Regional College of Art and Design, and began to offer a syllabus leading to the newly recognised Diploma in Art and Design (DipAD).
1972 – 1974
In 1972 a new art school building on Queens Gardens was commissioned, designed by the Architectural Partnership of Frederick Gibberd. This building received it’s first students in September 1974, and offered honours degrees in Fine Art and Graphic Design.
The Hull School of Art & Design (HSAD) is still based in this iconic 1970s building located in the centre of the city overlooking the beautiful Queens Gardens.
It continues to be regarded nationally and internationally for its excellence as a specialist creative centre for higher education degree and masters courses, not least with the reinstatement of it’s School of Architecture.